Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Why I Signed "That They May Have Life"

by Ron Sider

Evangelicals and Catholics Together (led by Chuck Colson and Richard John Neuhaus) recently released a ringing document on the sanctity of human life, entitled "That They May Have Life."

I signed the document because I believe that a strong defense of the life and dignity of every person is right at the heart of biblical teaching and faithful Christian discipleship. This document is a powerful articulation and defense of that foundational truth. That said, I wish that the document had said some more things and said some things differently.

The "completely pro-life" theme is there briefly: "The culture of life encompasses also the poor, the marginalized." The document insists that many things violate the dignity of the human person: genocide, economic exploitation, mistreatment of women, racial discrimination. But I wish that these had been much clearer and more prominent. If I had drafted the document, the completely pro-life theme would have been central.

The document recognizes that there are honorable Christian pacifists but assumes too easily that virtually all Christians are in the just war tradition. At the very least, the text should have said not that "Christians believe" in just war, but that "most Christians" since the fourth century do.

When one signs declarations drafted for a wide range of people, one inevitably signs on to content that one would like to have rephrased or supplemented with additional complementary statements. I wish (at least some days) that everybody agreed with me and had just the balance of ideas and ways of stating them that I do. Alas, they do not.

I think there is an important role for declarations that a wide range of Christians sign. I always ask myself: Do I agree with the basic arguments? Is there anything I simply cannot endorse? Is the basic impact of the document true and important?

My answers to these questions led to my conclusion that "That They May Have Life" is a truly important declaration on a crucial question for American life. I hope and pray that it is read widely.

As the document states, "We can no more abandon our contention for a culture of life than we can abandon our allegiance to the lordship of Christ." Amen.

No comments: